Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sunflower Sesame Crackers

I was on my second cup of coffee this morning and trying to decide what to post for today’s recipe. I remembered that I had read about a cracker recipe on one of the other paleo sites. I searched around and found it on several different blogs. I’m not sure where it was originally posted, so I apologize for not giving credit to the creator. I had the ingredients on-hand, so I made half a recipe (just to try it out). Wow, are these easy, delicious, and make a big batch.

I found a jar of all natural Toasted Sesame Ginger Seasoning at T.J. Maxx. (5.4 oz. for $4.99) It is a mix of black and white sesame seeds, garlic, sea salt, and red pepper. I used this along with the regular sesame seeds. The crackers came out spicy with lots of taste. Use them for dips such as guacamole or salsa, or serve with soups. My half-batch made 6 dozen 1 ½” crackers.

Hints:
Roll as thinly as possible – the crackers will be crispier.
To score the crackers before baking: Press down with knife, lifting and pressing to make the scores. If you try to cut, you’ll “tear” the batter.

Ingredients:
1 cup each of sunflower and sesame seeds
A little bit of water – about 1/4 cup

Put the sunflower seeds in a food processor and process for about 3 minutes or until seeds break down to a paste. Add the sesame seeds and pulse to combine. Add water and pulse to form a dough.

Grease two pieces of parchment paper. Place dough on one sheet and put other sheet (greased side down) over the top. Roll out as thinly as possible. Remove top sheet of paper. Score the batter into 1 ½” squares. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Slide paper with crackers onto a baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and then break apart.

Half-batch of crackers is about 825 calories; that's less than 12 calories a cracker!

No comments: