Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fajita Salad

The weekend is finally here and the weather is pretty decent, so there is lots of yard work to be done and not much time for cooking today. Usually by Saturday, I have to go off to the markets again and restock the refrigerator. This is a good time to clean it out and use up the leftover onions, peppers, etc. and grill them up for a fajita salad for lunch. Use whatever meat you might have: ground chicken or turkey, chicken tenders, or leftover beef.

Brown your meat, and then add some seasoning. If you have a low-salt taco seasoning, use that. If not, mix together some cumin, garlic salt, and chili pepper to your taste.  Sprinkle over meat and continue to cook until done. Cut up your vegetables and grill in a little olive oil until crisp-tender.

I had fresh spinach in the house, so I made this my first layer in my salad. Then I added the cooked vegetables (green and red bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms) and meat. Top with your favorite salsa, maybe some sliced avocado, and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro. Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the top.

My husband loved this salad. Sometimes the best recipes are just putting together a meal with what you enjoy eating. This one will satisfy your Mexican food craving.

No comments: