Friday, March 18, 2011


It was day six of my vacation yesterday and a few of the foods that I normally avoid were creeping back into my diet. Meals were fairly easy, but snacking (and drinking) with friends made me reach for those banned chips and sweets. The Starbucks brownie was my final downfall. Instant sugar high. It was a nice cheat with my coffee, but I really didn’t feel great afterwards, not just from guilt but also from the adjustment that my body was making to handle all that sugar. If you stay paleo for several months, you will notice how great you feel when you maintain your diet.

Then I saw this store window yesterday morning, and now I am thinking about making some jerky. Yak may be hard to find, but maybe some turkey jerky for starters.

What is Jerky?

Jerky is one of the oldest methods of preserving food by driving out most of the moisture. It can be used for meats and fish, fruits, and even vegetables. There are unlimited ways to prepare it using marinades and seasonings. The methods are simple using your oven, a dehydrator, or a specialized jerky maker. Making your own jerky is relatively inexpensive since you are using fresh ingredients, and produces big batches of tasty snacks that keep well in storage for long periods of time.

I am getting ready to order a dehydrator so that I can try out a few jerky recipes. Here are some links if you feel like investigating the world of jerky yourself.

The Jerky FAQ
Interesting facts and recipes

Amazon
Everything jerky, including equipment

Paleo Brands
If you don’t want to make your own jerky, you can buy some here.

No comments: