Sunday, July 24, 2011

Okra Trio

I’m not a G.R.I.T.S. (Girl raised in the South), so I never really became a fan of southern vegetables, including okra. It could be that I had only eaten them when they were cut up and steamed, with all their slimy goodness flowing out the middle. But a couple of weeks ago, my daughter who is definitely G.R.I.T.S., changed my opinion of this humble veggie. Add bacon and some other vegetables and fry them up in a pan until they become crisp-tender. No more oozing center!

Here is Gretchen’s recipe:

3-4 strips bacon
1 lb. fresh okra, stems trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
1 Vidalia or purple onion, sliced into thin wedges
2 fresh tomatoes, cut into wedges
Sea salt
Pepper

Cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Remove the grease from the pan, reserving two tablespoons.

Add the two tablespoons of bacon grease back into the skillet and heat to medium. Add the okra and the onion, turning to coat the vegetables with the fat. Cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender and lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and heat through. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.

Remove the vegetables to a serving plate. Top with crumbled bacon.

No comments: